Saturday, July 28, 2012

Interview with Katie Harper, author of Never Say Just


Today I would like to welcome Katie Harper to my blog. She is the author of Never Say Just, a hot new romance full of action and suspense with a big splash of humor for extra spice and as a special bonus she is giving away a copy of Never Say Just to one lucky commenter of today’s post.

So join me in welcoming Katie Harper to my blog.

Hi Katie, thanks so much for stopping by today. First off, tell us about Katie Harper.

KH  Katie Harper is a sarcastic, snarky bitch. She has no mental filter and whatever happens to be walking through her brain will usually end up on Facebook. And she likes to refer to herself in the third person.

 How did you get interested in writing?

KH  I was locked up in a hospital for a month. You can watch only so many episodes of Maury testing sixty guys to discover the paternity of one baby before you're begging the nurse to commit a mercy defenestration. Since Nurse Nancy refused to play ball, I started writing.

What do you like about being an author?

KH  I like that I can say pretty much anything I want and blame it on my character. When a relative or close friend says, "I can't believe you wrote that!!" I can say, "I only wrote what she/he said/did. It's not my fault."

 What has been the hardest part of your writing experience?

KH  Courage. It took me a while to write what I wanted to write. I was worried about what people close to me would think. Then I realized that I wasn't writing for them. I was writing for me. If they like it, they like it. If they hate it, they hate it. I don't really care if they hate it. But most have really liked my writing style.

 What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

 KH  Write! And write what you want to write. I go to church every single Sunday. If I wrote only what was acceptable, I'd be covering the Bible. While the story of Samson and Delilah is hot, it isn't really my style. I write what makes me happy. People who don't like it are welcome to have a brain aneurysm at my expense.

Tell us about getting your first book published.

KH  I never actually intended to publish Never Say Just. I wrote it as more of a joke. I joined a romance novel writing group online and posted the first few pages. I got a really good response. I decided to submit it to a publisher. Someone suggested Decadent Publishing and I submitted my story. When I got the offer, I thought I was going to die. Literally. I could not believe someone wanted to publish my silly story. It was awesome.

 Okay. Let’s get to the book. How did you come up with the story and the title?

KH  A few years ago I wrote a truly terrible spy novel. Some of my readers were a bit upset that my hero and heroine didn't fall in love. I couldn't see them falling in love. Neither of them would allow themselves to be so vulnerable. I took the characters out of that story and put them in a situation where they could fall in love. I didn't take Never Say Just seriously so there really isn't a serious sentence in the book. Except for maybe all the sentences where Kat tortures the hell out of some dude. That's pretty serious. In the book, Hell Kat is a widow. You know when you walk into a room and someone is already in there and you kind of startle them. What do you say? You say, "It's just me." I am a widow too. My husband used to say, "Never say just," whenever someone would say, "It's just me." It was his way of telling someone they mattered. It's kind of my tribute to him, and Hell Kat has to realize that even though she feels all bad about killing dozens of people and torturing countless more, she still matters.

 Tell us a little bit about the storyline. Who is Hell Kat and the Rat Bastards?

KH  Hell Kat is a badass. She used to work as a mercenary/assassin/contract interrogator. She has the ability to completely shut off her humanity to get any job done. She leaves that life and marries an oil baron. Her husband dies leaving her the steward of the largest oil company in the country. The Rat Bastards are a Marine Force Recon unit who find out that someone is out to kill Kat. They try to protect her. She doesn't think she needs protecting. Shooter, the unit's Gunnery Sergeant and sniper, is really the only one with the balls to stand up to Kat. Naturally, she thinks that's totally hot.

 Who is your favorite character and why?

KH  Hell Kat. I identify with Hell Kat. We have similar histories (to be clear, I was never an assassin and I didn't marry an oil billionaire). I can identify with why she does what she does. My second favorite would be Horndog. Every girl loves Horndog.

 What would you like to say to your fans?

 KH  Thank you!! Thank you for making me feel like I don't suck. Thank you for the emails. Thank you for embracing a romance novel with a kickass heroine and a hero who can handle her. Thank you for getting it! Just....thank you. I'd kiss every single one of you, but I don't know where all your lips have been.

How do you deal with criticism?

KH  I know a lot of authors and artists and people in general have a hard time with criticism. I don't. I have four brothers who aren't afraid to tell you exactly what they think. You'll always get an honest answer from them. I love them to bits and pieces. So if someone says they don't like something I've written, I understand that it's just their opinion and their opinion does not determine my self-worth. When someone rips apart my work, I listen to their suggestion, make the changes I want to change, and move on.

What would your characters think about you?

KH  I think my characters would love me. I created them! Who's going to create something that wouldn't like them?

 Okay. Some fun stuff.

 What is your pet peeve?

KH  OK, I know this is stupid. But if it wasn't stupid it wouldn't be a pet peeve. I absolutely HATE when people who should know better call the Medal of Honor, the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is NOT the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is the Medal of Honor. It is awarded by the President through an act of Congress, so I get the confusion, but it is not called the Congressional Medal of Honor. It is called the Medal of Honor. You'd think Generals in the military would know this, but you'd be surprised how many ranking officials get it wrong. The History Channel should start guillotining people who get it wrong.

 Chocolate or Vanilla?

 KH  Chocolate! Dark chocolate. I like to eat really dark chocolate and just let it melt on my tongue. It's what God eats when he gets depressed.

Dogs or Cats?

KH  Neither. I know this is probably going to get me knifed, but I do not like animals. I don't understand the bond that people have with animals and I've made a vow that I would never clean up another living creature's shit unless I gave birth to it.

 Dean or Sam?

KH  Do you even have to ask? Dean baby!! Favorite Dean quotes:

I think I'll pass on the seventy two virgins, thanks. I'm not that into prude chicks anyway.

I think I learned a valuable lesson: Always take down your Christmas decorations after New Year's, or you might get filleted by a hooker from God.

Save room for dessert, Tiny. Hey, I wanted to ask you, because I couldn't help but notice you are two tons of fun. Just curious, is it like a thyroid problem? Or is that just some deep-seated self-esteem issue? Because you know, they're just doughnuts. They're not love.

Brother, I have been re-hymenated and the dude will not abide.

 If your book were to be made into a movie who would play the lead roles?

KH  For Hell Kat I'd choose Lena Heady. She played Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles and the Queen who guts that asshole traitor on the floor of the Senate in 300. Shooter is Joe Manganiello. He plays Alcide in True Blood and Big Dick Richie in Magic Mike. Solar flare hot.

 This has been a really enjoyable afternoon talking with you Katie. Your sense of humor and writing style is an attention grabber and I wish you the best of luck with Never Say Just.

Readers you can find Katie Harper's Just Say Never at Amazon.com in Kindle format http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008C9MD06/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

A taste of Never Say Just:

Haunted by her past of murder for hire and skinning people alive to gather vital intelligence, Kat Boudreaux wants nothing more than to hide away in her sprawling mansion with the love of her life–her daughter. But then Private Gump and his band of Bubbas land on her doorstep. Her brother and his unit of misfit Marines insert themselves with the misguided need to protect her from someone hell-bent on vengeance.

 For Shooter, its love at first sight, though he wouldn’t be caught dead admitting it. When Kat is nearly fatally injured while saving his life, he knows he’s found the woman for him.  Together, they fight side by side to get to the bottom of the threats. Kat’s daughter is kidnapped and this ex-assassin mom reverts back to old habits to save her. Saving Kat and her daughter is easy; taming the shrew that is Hell Kat Boudreaux might mean losing his favorite appendage

Be sure to follow Katie at: